News:

The forum had an error with registration, and new users were not being approved properly. Welcome to any new users.

Main Menu

Bankhead route in Arkansas

Started by Parsa, February 22, 2013, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsa

Map number 40.

This is the Sheppard 7.5-minute quad from 1951 (revised 1978). North is to the upper left on this map, so up is approximately east-northeast.

This shows the rural area west of Hope, Arkansas.

Red = Dunn guide. Black mileage = Locke guide. Green = 1928 ACSC strip map mileages.

Parsa

Map number 41.

This is the Fulton 7.5-minute quad from 1951 (revised 1970). A very small section of the McNab 7.5 minute quad is also included. North is to the left on this map, so up is east.

This shows the Fulton, Arkansas, and a few miles of area to the east.

The highway was cut and made discontinuous by I-30. A connecting route, shown in orange, can be made via CR 189.
The route through Fulton is uncertain. I can find no maps predating the building of the new 1931 bridge across the Red River. All three maps, the 1928 ACSC map, the Dunn guide, and the Locke guide, show a jog to the north, probably on AR 355 (Mount-Prairie). However, the evidence of a curved corner at AR 355 and Ogan Street, and what seems to be a path down to the Red River from Ogan, makes me think that was the path. It's possible, however, that the ferry was reached from Jefferson Street, which has a longer extension to the west than other streets.
In any event, the highway crossed north of the rail line, not south of it as US 67 does. It stayed on the north side, running on a causeway. I'll show what I think was the path of this road on the next map.

Red = Dunn guide. Black mileage = Locke guide. Green = 1928 ACSC strip map mileages.

Parsa

Map number 42.

This is the Fulton 7.5-minute quad from 1951 (revised 1970). The 1951 quad is avaialble, and I consulted it to see the pre-1954 alignment of US 67, which was the Bankhead west of the Red River. North is to the left on this map, so up is east.

This shows Fulton, Arkansas, the small former site of Clipper, and a few miles of area to the west.

The Bankhead Highway and pre-1931 US 67 traveled on the north side of the railroad after crossing the Fulton Ferry. The new US 67 bridge was constructed in 1931. The map shows the likely location of the ferry crossing and the highway path (shown highlighted in red). Traces of this road appear to exist in several places, and two of the maps show the highway crossing a "dike" or "levee." The place where this crossing occurred is still visible.
To the west of the dike, and continuing on all the way to the outskirts of Texarkana is original US 67 pavement. The current wider alignment dates to 1954. The old alignment starts out on the north side of the current highway, then at Clipper it switches to the south side of the road. Approaching Texarkana, this road finally veers southwest away from current US 67.

Parsa

Map number 43.

This is the Homan 7.5-minute quad from 1951 (revised 1970). The 1951 quad is available, and I consulted it to see the pre-1954 alignment of US 67, which was the Bankhead. North is to the up and to left on this map, so up is northeast.

This shows the small towns of Homan, Clear Lake Junction, and Paup between Fulton and Texarkana.

Early US 67 with pavement and bridges from about 1929 runs parallel to current (1954) US 67 for the entire length of the map. Interstate 30 has caused a realignment of AR 108, so it's original junction point has shifted east half a mile. The original junction appears on the 1951 map, but almost no trace now remains on the ground.

Parsa

Map number 44.

This is the Mandeville 7.5-minute quad from 1952 (revised 1975). The 1952 quad is available, and I consulted it to see the pre-1954 alignment of US 67, which was the Bankhead. North is to the up and to left on this map, so up is northeast.

This shows the small town of Mandeville east of Texarkana.

Early US 67 with pavement and bridges from about 1929 runs parallel to current (1954) US 67, then veers south to reach the town of Mandeville. It returns back to current US 67 after about 3 miles, but it then is largely subsumed by the wide berm of US 67 all the way into Texarkana. A few traces may remain between the current highway and the railroad line.

Parsa

Map number 45.

This is the Texarkana 7.5-minute quad from 1954 (revised 1975). The 1909 and 1954 15-minute quads, and the 1954 7.5-minute quad were available, and I consulted them to see the early alignment of US 67, which was the Bankhead. North is to the up and to left on this map, so up is northeast.

This shows Texarkana, Arkansas and Texas.

According to both the Locke and Dunn guides, the Bankhead highway followed Broad Street into downtown Texarkana. It then went north on Texas Blvd, which at that time was still Maple Street. The 1928 ACSC strip map shows a route approximately parallel to the current routes of US 67, 71, and 82, which travel on 8th Street (MLK Blvd) westbound and 7th Street eastbound. The 1928 map moves off the Bankhead route along 9th Street (as did US 67). It then went west on 7th Street (eastbound only now) and turned south on Hickory Street to 6th Street. It followed 6th Street west to the large traffic circle around the Federal building, and went along it to 5th Street. it then followed 5th Street to Texas Blvd. This is shown highlighted in green on the map.