News:

The forum had an error with registration, and new users were not being approved properly. Welcome to any new users.

Main Menu

Automobile Club of Southern California strip map database

Started by Parsa, March 10, 2010, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsa

I've posted a list of everything I can currently find on the ACSC strip maps. They are not just California. They are arranged by map file number.

Automobile Club of Southern California Strip Maps

Good to Go!

Parsa,

That is some listing of ACSC strip maps!  I have a few hundred myself, and have tried over the years to identify the date by design or cartographer.  Many of course have the month and date on the back, or the copyright date on the front.  And you can sometimes date them by the auto club's address.  And I suppose I could do some dating by the symbols used, which changed in the early years.

Have you come up with other methods?

Incidentally, I have an interesting article from the 1920's in Touring Topics describing the methods used to make those maps.  Not a lot of surprises, but you have to respect the accuracy they achieved before there were aerial surveys and satellites!

Thanks for the list!

Good To Go!

Parsa

I knew about the date codes, although they can be confusing. I do know the dates on a lot of these maps, especially the ones in booklets. However, the maps are often older than the date code. I also have particular maps with different date codes since they were used for several years.
I now know the name of one of the cartographers. He signed as both BROWN and E.J.B, and his name was Elmer J. Brown. He also designed the bell logo for the auto club.
I never thought of using the address, that's a good idea to correlate cards.
The maps from around 1915 use the funny symbols for lodging/food, gas/oil, and repair facilities. Many of those maps have a little date next to the cartographer's initials.
I got one big set that had no dates on any cards... the same cards that did have date codes in other sets. Perhaps the dates were added later as needed?

Does that Touring Topics mention the names of any of the cartographers? I did see some examples of the original maps on the walls of the ACSC archives. They drew them pretty big, like a small poster. Some of these maps are works of art, really beautiful.
Speaking as someone who has used ACSC maps to retrace transcontinental auto trails and US highways, I can say that they are often amazingly accurate. That's why I value them more than any other type of map (with the exception of topographic maps) for research.

Good to Go!

I don't recall the Touring Topics story mentioning names, but I'll dig it out and reread it.  It has been some years.

The club certainly reissued a map over a several year period.  You also notice original copyright dates removed and a blank left in its spot.  And some of the Washington State strip maps carry dates like 1917-1919, which makes you wonder what they were saying.  Was the map published in 1917, and updated in 1919, or what? :)

Some folks, especially oil map collectors, tend to distain the strip maps, but like you say, other than topos, and perhaps old county atlases, they are the premo road maps of the period.  I have thought from time to time that I would produce a few turn by turn old road guides using Hobbs, Automobile Blue Books, old post cards, and ACSC strip maps, and I once did one as a test on the LA to San Diego route. I thought it looked pretty good, but I'm lazy so that was the end of it.

If someone got serious, they could easily produce a series of nice guides with minimal effort, assuming of course they had the materials.  :)

One of my early acquisitions, was the 1911 ACSC tour book, which has not only great maps, but nice written directions, missing of course in later strip maps.  And I picked up about ten years ago, a couple of Grays California road atlases, from 1906 and 1907.  I don't think I have seen any earlier automobile road atlases for California, but there may be a bicycle guide.  Have you spotted any?

Good to Go!

Parsa

I have a few relatively old strip maps for El Camino Real, but I've been looking for the maps used by the Federation of Women's Clubs to plan out the placement of El Camino Real bells. That started in about 1906. However, the decision to place a bell every mile on the route occurred in 1912-1913. I'd like to get a hold of copies of ECR maps from that 1906-1913 time period. I think a good guide to the ECR would be very helpful. A photographer friend and I did a road trip from Oceanside to downtown Los Angeles along the ECR route. It was fun trying to trace the route using my strip maps.

I'm actually planning to make some road guides and self publish them. I want to get a US 80 guide out, and then probably an El Camino Real guide. They will be similar to my California 80 strip maps on this site [example map image]. I've already purchased a domain name: varnerguides.com

Good to Go!

That is VERY NICE map work!  I have done a few far less ambitious projects and recognize the effort it takes to produce maps of that quality.  Nice work!

I'll take a look at the 1911 Tour Book.  It will certainly have El Camino Maps.  And I think I sold a set from about 1917 but kept digital copies.

I confess that none of the US numbered roads are of big interest to me, not to knock them.  My collection is heavily pre 1927, and I figure that by then most of the interesting roads had been identified.  Although I enjoy say Route 66, I consider it way over hyped, and prefer to explore its predecessors.

My interests are a mile wide and an inch deep.  Last Month I traveled part of the Dixie and the Old Spanish Trail; this spring I may do one of the northern transcontinental's, and probably something in the southwest.  I have hundreds, probably thousands of old guides, maps, ABB's, Hobbs, Mixers, Kings, TIB's and the like, so I never get bored.

It sounds like you are pretty well equipped, but no one has everything, so if I can help, just ask, and I'll follow up on the 1911 (or 1906) stuff shortly.

Good to Go!

Note:

I pulled out the 1911 ACSC Tour Book.  It gives me a little rush just to look through it. There are hundreds of exquisite strip maps and accompanying turn by turns.  Of course the El Camino Real is covered BUT it is not, so far as I note, identified as such.  Of course there are tons of hotel and auto ads, but the maps and turn by turns are certainly among the first done, at least in combination.  In fact, my earliest west coast turn by turns published elsewhere (ABB) are in the 1913 timeframe.

I don't feel comfortable scanning pages as I fear damaging the binding, but I could probably with my wife's help, photograph some pages that would be readable.  Is there a specific section that would be a good sample for your interests?

Note2

One final note.  The September 1924 issue of Touring Topics (the ACSC magazine)  described how the information to make the maps was collected (two men in a car with speedometer, altimeter, compass, and notebook).  One comment that proved interesting is that the first strip maps were prepared 13 years earlier, which may make the 1911 Tour Book the first example of their use by the ACSC.

Good to Go!

Parsa

I've updated the strip map database with a lot of new entries. Some are very early maps, and some relatively late ones.
Automobile Club of Southern California Strip Maps

ACSC Collector

Excellent database!

I have made some ACSC map research and found your collection fascinating! I have posted my ACSC map database on the RMCA webpage linking the strip map numbers with the map numbers. The old map number system helped me out in finding approximate dates that were almost impossible to determine otherwise. I do believe I have 2 ACSC lists posted. The first shows an incomplete list of the map number system while the second list shows the new catalog numbering system. This is certainly not complete since I still have ACSC maps that are not numbered or dated and would not fit into the system accurately.

Parsa

ACSC Collector

The link to these lists are closed for members only. I do have the rough draft lists in notebook form. They are somewhat incomplete but probably the most complete outside the USC archives. I had sent Morgan Yates a copy hoping he could fill in the gaps for me but it was without any success. If you like, I can e-mail them over and see if you can add or modify them. I certainly would like to see a complete list someday so I could compare notes.

ACSC Collector

Steve, The volume of my attachments are too large for this website. I would like to share them but I will have to send through a different source. Please let me know if you wish to view them.

Parsa

Whatever method works for you, I'd be happy and interested in viewing them.

ACSC Collector

Here is my 2nd segment of what I have listed on the old ACSC map code system. Any updates & opinions are always welcome!

101-102          N.A.
  103              Pasadena to Top of Mount Wilson              1913                  Card strip map 37
  104              N.A.
  105              Needles to Kingman                           N.A.                  Card strip map 51
  106              Kingman to peach springs                     N.A.                  Card strip map 52
  107              Peach Springs to Williams                    N.A.                  Card strip map 53
  108              Seligman to Williams #4                      1913                  Card strip map 54
  109              San Francisco to Livermore #1                1913                  Card strip map 69
  110              Livermore to Stockton   #2                   1913                  Card strip map 67
  111-129          N.A.
  130              Rts from San Joaquin to Yosemite             1913                  Card strip map 55
  131-132          N.A.
  133              Merced to Snelling #1                        1913                  Card strip map 56
  134              Snelling to Coulterville  #2                 1913                  Card strip map 57
  135              Coulterville to Hazel Ck and El Portal #3    1913                  Card strip map 58             
  136              Hazel Green to Yosemite #4                   1913                  Card strip map 59
  137              N.A
  138              Los Angeles to Ventura                       1913                  Card strip map 91
  139              Ventura to los Olivos                        N.A.                  Card strip map 92
  140              Los Olivos to san Luis Obispo                N.A.                  Card strip map 93
  141              San Luis Obispo to Jolon                     N.A.                  Card strip map 94
  142              Jolon to Salinas                             N.A.                  Card strip map 95
  143              Salinas to San Jose                          1913                  Card strip map 96
  144              San Jose to San Francisco                    N.A.                  Card strip map 97
  145-159          N.A.
  160              Los Angeles to Santa Ana                     1913                  Card strip map 10
  161              Santa Ana to Oceanside                       N.A                   Card strip map 11
  162              Oceanside to San Diego                       1913                  Card strip map 12
  163              Los Angeles to Points in Southwestern Nevada 11/14/13              Touring topics map
  164-167          N.A.
  168              San Diego to Campo                           N.A.                  Card strip maps 66, 98
  169              Campo to El centro                           N.A.                  Card strip map 99
  170-173          N.A.
  174              Los Angeles to Venice and Santa Monica       1914                  Card strip map 49
  175              San Bernardino to Victorville                1914                  Card strip map 49
  176              Victorville to Barstow                       1914                  Card strip map 49A
  177-183          N.A.
  184              Los Angeles to Pomona                        6/13/12-11/10/20      Card strip maps 35, 60
  185              Pomona to Colton                             1916                  Card strip map 61
  186              Colton to Banning                            N.A.                  Card strip map 62
  187              Banning to Mecca                             3/23                  Card strip map 63
  188              Mecca to Brawley                             4/23                  Card strip map 64
  189              Brawley to Yuma via Glamis                   3/23                  Card strip map 65
  190-194          N.A.
                   L.A. to Neighboring Beach Cities             9/23/12               Card strip map 18
  195              Los Angeles to the Beaches                   1920                  Newmark (Montebello) & Harper (Costa Mesa) changed names in 1920
  196-197          N.A.
  198              Riverside to Fallbrook                       N.A.                  Card strip map 14
  199              Fallbrook to San Diego                       N.A.                  Card strip map 15
  200              Los Angeles to Sierra Madre                  1914-10/27            Card strip map 23

Parsa

ACSC Collector

Steve here is segment 3 of the ACSC map number list. Just to make things a more little bit understanding, the dates are the known period when they were issued. I am still a little bit confused on the card strip map numbers since they do not coincide with dates and they are randomly changing as the years progress. BTW: If you feel I am taking up too much space on your forum. please let me be advised. Thanks!

201              Los Angeles to Phoenix Race                  1915                  Card Strip map
  202-204          N.A.
  204              Los Angeles & Vicinity                       1915                  Map found in Historical Atlas of California (Derek Hayes 2007)
  205              Los Angeles to Bakersfield                   1914                  Card strip map 32
  206              Fairmont to Bakersfield                      1914                  Card strip map 34
  207              Willow Springs to Bakersfield Pt 3           1915                  Card strip map 33
  208-210          N.A.
  211              San Diego City                               1917-1921             Exposition Grounds Naval training Station
  212              San Diego to Los Angeles                     3/23-3/24             Card strip map 39
  213              Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo               4/23-3/24             Card strip map 40
  214              San Luis Obispo to San Francisco             4/23-3/24             Card strip map 31
  215              Automobile Routes In & Out of San Francisco  1915
  216-217          N.A.
  218              Fishing streams and Mtn. Resorts near L.A.   N.A.                 Card strip map 7
  219              N.A.
  220              National Old Trails Road Key Card            N.A.                 Card Strip map
  221              Los Angeles to Pomona & Claremont            8/22-9/37            Card strip maps 60,105, 215 & also found in sectional series books 36, 47, 48, 66
  222              Pomona to Riverside & San Bernardino         3/23-9/37            Card strip map 61, 216 also found in sectional series books 36, 47, 48, 66
                   Claremont to San Bernardino                  N.A.                 Same map as above but with diffrent milage points
                   Foothill & Valley Bvds.                      8/28                 Same map as above but with diffrent milage points
                   Pomona to San Bernardino & Redlands          11/24-9/37           Same map as above but with diffrent milage points
  223              San Bernardino to Victorville                3/24-6/41            Card strip map 217 also found in sectional series books 36, 47, 48
  224              Victorville to Barstow                   pre-8/34-6/41            Card strip map 218 & also found in sectional series books 36, 47, 48
  225              Barstow to Ludlow                        pre-3/35-3/54            Card strip map 219 & also found in sectional series books 36, 48
  226              Ludlow to Danby                              11/24-9/40           Card strip map 220 & also found in sectional series books 36, 48
  227              Neeedles to Danby                            11/22-pre 3/35       Card strip map 221
  227A             Danby to Needles                              3/35-9/40            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 36, 48
  228              Needles to Kingman                            3/35-9/40            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 36, 48
  229              Kingman to Peach Springs                      3/35-9/40            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 36, 48
  230              Peach Springs to Seligman                     3/35                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 48
  231              Seligman to Williams                          3/35                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 48
  232              Williams to Flagstaff                         3/35-3/54            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 34, 36, 48
  233              Flagstaff to Grand Canyon                     N.A.                 Card Strip map
  233 1/2          National Old Trails to Grand Canyon           N.A.                 Card Strip map
  234              Williams to Grand Canyon                      N.A.                 Card Strip map
  235              Flagstaff to Winslow                          3/35-2/54            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 35, 48
  236              Winslow to Holbrook                           3/35-2/54            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 35, 48
  237              Holbrook to Saint Johns                       N.A.                 Card Strip map
  238              Saint Johns to Springerville                  N.A.                 Card Strip map
  238              Porterville to Sequoia National Park          3/24                 Card strip map 221
  239              Springerville to to Quemado                   N.A.                 Card Strip map
  240              Quemado to Magdalena                          N.A.                 Card Strip map
  241              Magdalena to Socorro                          N.A.                 Card Strip map
  242              Socorro to Albuquerque                        4/35                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 23
  243              Albuquerque to Santa Fe                       4/35-4/37            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 23, 48
  244              Santa Fe to Las Vegas, N.M.                   3/35-4/37            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 23, 48
  245              Las Vegas, N.M. to Springer                   3/35-4/37            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 23, 48
  246              Springer to Trinidad, Co.                     3/35-4/37            Card Strip map also found in sectional series books 23, 48
  247              Trinidad, Co. to Delhi                        2/38                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  248              Delhi to La Junta                             1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  249              La Junta to Lamar                             1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  250              Lamar to Syracuse, Ks.                        1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  251              Syracuse, Ks. to Garden city                  1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  252              Garden City to Dodge City                     1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  253              Dodge City to Kinsley                         1/39                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 49
  253A             Dodge City to Kinsley & Macksville            N.A.                 Card Strip map
  254              Larned to Lyons                               N.A.                 Card Strip map
  255              Lyons to Marion                               N.A.                 Card Strip map
  256              Marion to council Grove                       N.A.                 Card Strip map
  257              Council Grove to Scranton                     N.A.                 Card Strip map
  258              Scranton to Olathe                            N.A.                 Card Strip map
  259              Olathe to Kansas City                         N.A.                 Card Strip map
  260              Trinadad to Pueblo                            N.A.                 Card Strip map
  261              Pueblo to Colorado Springs                    N.A.                 Card Strip map
  262              Colorado Springs to Castle Rock               N.A.                 Card Strip map
  263              Castle Rock to Denver                         N.A.                 Card Strip map
  264              Denver to Brighton, Co.                       8/34                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 14
  265              Brighton to Greeley                           8/34                 Card Strip map also found in sectional series book 14
  266              Greeley to Cheyenne                           N.A.                 Card Strip map
  267              Greeley to Fort Morgan                        N.A.                 Card Strip map
  268              Fort Morgan to sterling                       N.A.                 Card Strip map
  269              Sterling, Co. to Big Spring, Ne.              N.A.                 Card Strip map
  270              La Junta to Pueblo                            N.A.                 Card Strip map
  271              N.A.
  272              Los Angeles to Willow Springs                 N.A.                 Card strip map 200
  273              Elizabeth Lake to Cinco                       N.A.                 Card strip map 201
  273              Little Lake to Lone Pine                      N.A.                 Card strip map 203
  274              Cinco to Little Lake                          4/23                 Card strip map 202
  275              Little Lake to Lone Pine                      N.A.                 Card strip map 203
  276              Lone Pine to Big Pine                         N.A.                 Card strip map 204
  277-297          N.A.
  298              Porterville to Sequoia National Park          N.A.                 Card strip map 46
  299              101 Mi. Drive Rim of the World                  N.A.       
  300              Yosemite Valley to Mono Lake & Leevining      4/23-7/40            Card strip map 58 also found in sectional series book 38