American Roads Discussion > AmericanRoads.us Web Site

Automobile Club of Southern California strip map database

<< < (2/4) > >>

Good to Go!:
That is VERY NICE map work!  I have done a few far less ambitious projects and recognize the effort it takes to produce maps of that quality.  Nice work!

I'll take a look at the 1911 Tour Book.  It will certainly have El Camino Maps.  And I think I sold a set from about 1917 but kept digital copies.

I confess that none of the US numbered roads are of big interest to me, not to knock them.  My collection is heavily pre 1927, and I figure that by then most of the interesting roads had been identified.  Although I enjoy say Route 66, I consider it way over hyped, and prefer to explore its predecessors.

My interests are a mile wide and an inch deep.  Last Month I traveled part of the Dixie and the Old Spanish Trail; this spring I may do one of the northern transcontinental's, and probably something in the southwest.  I have hundreds, probably thousands of old guides, maps, ABB's, Hobbs, Mixers, Kings, TIB's and the like, so I never get bored.

It sounds like you are pretty well equipped, but no one has everything, so if I can help, just ask, and I'll follow up on the 1911 (or 1906) stuff shortly.

Good to Go!

Note:

I pulled out the 1911 ACSC Tour Book.  It gives me a little rush just to look through it. There are hundreds of exquisite strip maps and accompanying turn by turns.  Of course the El Camino Real is covered BUT it is not, so far as I note, identified as such.  Of course there are tons of hotel and auto ads, but the maps and turn by turns are certainly among the first done, at least in combination.  In fact, my earliest west coast turn by turns published elsewhere (ABB) are in the 1913 timeframe.

I don't feel comfortable scanning pages as I fear damaging the binding, but I could probably with my wife's help, photograph some pages that would be readable.  Is there a specific section that would be a good sample for your interests?

Note2

One final note.  The September 1924 issue of Touring Topics (the ACSC magazine)  described how the information to make the maps was collected (two men in a car with speedometer, altimeter, compass, and notebook).  One comment that proved interesting is that the first strip maps were prepared 13 years earlier, which may make the 1911 Tour Book the first example of their use by the ACSC.

Good to Go!

Parsa:
I've updated the strip map database with a lot of new entries. Some are very early maps, and some relatively late ones.
Automobile Club of Southern California Strip Maps

ACSC Collector:
Excellent database!

I have made some ACSC map research and found your collection fascinating! I have posted my ACSC map database on the RMCA webpage linking the strip map numbers with the map numbers. The old map number system helped me out in finding approximate dates that were almost impossible to determine otherwise. I do believe I have 2 ACSC lists posted. The first shows an incomplete list of the map number system while the second list shows the new catalog numbering system. This is certainly not complete since I still have ACSC maps that are not numbered or dated and would not fit into the system accurately.

Parsa:
Do you have links to those lists?

Steve

ACSC Collector:
The link to these lists are closed for members only. I do have the rough draft lists in notebook form. They are somewhat incomplete but probably the most complete outside the USC archives. I had sent Morgan Yates a copy hoping he could fill in the gaps for me but it was without any success. If you like, I can e-mail them over and see if you can add or modify them. I certainly would like to see a complete list someday so I could compare notes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version