News:

The forum had an error with registration, and new users were not being approved properly. Welcome to any new users.

Main Menu

Chevlon Creek Bridge question

Started by 91nordic, August 15, 2013, 09:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

91nordic

The 1913 Good Roads map shows a picture of the Chevlon Creek bridge, and it looks like a through truss type, similar to the Walnut Canyon bridge. Is the current bridge at Chevlon Creek the second one built on the site and maybe rebuilt after 1913?

Parsa

I'll look it to this, but I think it's the original bridge. At least this one is very very old.

91nordic

"There is a fair road from Winslow to Holbrook, stony and poor only on a few stretches. The road, however, is dim in places and care should be taken not to get off it. At the time that the Blue Book car took this route the Chevelon Creek was not bridged, but the county authorities immediately set to work to have a bridge erected. A recent survey has been made of the road with a view to constructing a permanent highway; variations from the log therefore have to be made during the latter part of 1912." ~Thomas Wilby. So maybe the bridge in the photo is the wrong bridge?   ???

Parsa

The current bridge is an arched Warren pony truss. The bridge in the image is a slight looking through truss. It could be the original bridge that was later replaced. BTW, I believe I found the original stream crossing mentioned in the ABB when I visited.
I'll look and see if I have any images of a plaque.