News:

The forum had an error with registration, and new users were not being approved properly. Welcome to any new users.

Main Menu

U.S. 90, the Eastern end of the OST

Started by Carnut, May 06, 2008, 10:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Without repeating a lot of information on other sites concerning what was dubbed as the OST by the Old Spanish Trail Association of the 1915-1929 period I figured this discussion area deserved to give recognition to that organization and to tie U.S. 90 to the OST identification, though there is only limited evidence the Spanish ever had trails over much of what became U.S. 90 in 1926.

Jim

Parsa

Yes, I have an Old Spanish Trail thread on the forum too, but a lot of these roads overlap. I'm not too worried if people cross-post. The OST was mostly US 90, 290 and 80. However, as I'm finding for the Lee Highway, the pre-1926 auto trails sometimes varied from what later became the US numbered highways. The associations later adopted US numbered routes.

Carnut

Quote from: Parsa on May 08, 2008, 05:48:48 PM
Yes, I have an Old Spanish Trail thread on the forum too, but a lot of these roads overlap. I'm not too worried if people cross-post. The OST was mostly US 90, 290 and 80. However, as I'm finding for the Lee Highway, the pre-1926 auto trails sometimes varied from what later became the US numbered highways. The associations later adopted US numbered routes.

In the case of the Old Spanish Trail Association, more or less formed in 1915, rather than adopt anything it just chose to dissolve itself upon the end of the 1929 motorcade from St. Augustine, Fl. to San Diego.  A later group known as Old Spanish Trail, Inc. came into being in the 1940s.  It was obviously a trade association formed in hopes of creating traveler awareness of the membership's existence along U.S. 90 and I suppose the then Western end of U.S. 80.  Considering U.S. 290 from San Antonio to roughly Junction, Tx had by that time been re-routed (actually in 1935) from Austin to Junction I don't know what they would they would have been using for identity of that section of what had been the OST.  That section of road basically reverted back to being Texas 27 and remains that today for the most part except were I-10 runs right over the original route of Texas 27.